Ventura Gate Safety Devices
Substantial amounts of force are generated when automatic swing and slide gates are in motion. This force can be extremely hazardous, even deadly, to people and animals that get in the gate’s path and can also cause severe damage to motor vehicles. As a precaution, gate safety devices are required to be installed in order to protect vehicles as well as the public and their pets.
The Underwriters Laboratories (UL), a global safety science and certification company, and ASTM International, a standards organization, have created sets of automated motor and automated gate safety standards (UL 325 and ASTM F2200 respectively) aimed at drastically reducing risk and preventing harm.
PSS Garage Doors & Gates has extensive knowledge of the current UL 325 and ASTM F2200 safety standards and will make sure that your automatic gate system is fully up to code with these important regulations.
Gate Security Device Installation
Our company provides first-rate gate safety device installation services for residential, commercial and industrial clients from Santa Barbara to Malibu, California. We have decades of quality experience configuring all types of electric gate-related safety instruments, including:
Vehicle sensor loops & loop detectors
- In conjunction with loop detectors, sensor loops are used to open automatic slide and swing gates and stop those gates from closing on vehicles that are in their line of motion. Preformed direct burial loops are installed underneath the concrete, asphalt or gravel surface. By contrast, cut-in loops are inserted into surfaces already in place.
- The loops integral to vehicle safety, known as reverse loops, are installed on both sides of the gate. This particular loop will keep a gate in the open position if a vehicle ceases its motion while on top of it, and will also move the gate in the opposite direction to prevent gate-on-vehicle collisions and entrapment.
- The loop detector itself is inserted directly into the gate opener’s circuitry. It recognizes the change in electric current that takes place when the metal contained within the vehicle interacts with the safety loop, and subsequently makes the gate reverse course and reopen so as to not cause any damage.
- Exit probes (buried next to the driveway) & probe detectors provide an alternative to using safety loops.
- Photo eyes are driveway gate safety devices that beam light straight across the openings of slide or swing gates. When a person, animal, vehicle (or any other physical entity) enters into the beam’s line and disrupts it, the gate will move in reverse so that it does not shut and cause entrapment and damage. The automatic gate will not close until the beam of light is no longer blocked.
- There are two types of photo eyes, reflective and through beam. For reflective photo eyes, there is a single beam of light that is emitted from one side and reflected back from the other. Through beam photo eyes, also known as dual beam photo eyes, feature two beams of light that connect. Regardless of the type, the photo eye is hardwired directly into the gate operator’s circuit board.
- Photo eyes are considered monitored safety devices because they are always on/always running. According to regulations, automatic gate systems must have at least one monitored safety device/entrapment prevention device (photo eye or gate edges). Photo eyes are manufactured by LiftMaster, Allen Bradley, EMX and Seco-Larm.
- Gate edges are also monitored safety devices. These edges, which come in different lengths, are placed around the sides of swing and slide gates. When something makes contact with a gate edge, it sends a signal to a transmitter (not included with the edges), which in turn signals the gate opener to reverse or otherwise stop the gate.
- Our well-informed staff is more than happy to recommend safety devices based on your particular gate system specifications and requirements.
Automatic Gate Safety Device Repair in Ventura
Entrapment protection devices are vital parts of automatic gate systems, keeping people and vehicles safe from harm. It is incredibly important to keep them in proper working order. If there are any indications of problems with your entry gate’s safety devices or other components, please call us as soon as you possibly can.
Our technicians, with their in-depth knowledge of these devices, will carefully examine them and ascertain if they’re fully functioning. We will make any adjustments necessary, and will then test the gates again to make sure that all of the safety features are doing what they should.
Inspecting all of the gate safety devices is also part of our preventative maintenance regimen. We highly recommend having electric gate systems routinely checked and serviced, especially if they are subject to frequent vehicle traffic.
Many of our residential and commercial clients have us fully design their automatic gate systems. In order to completely abide by the UL 325 and ASTM F2200 safety standards, we always do the following:
- Incorporate all safety features and devices appropriate for your specific application(s).
- Utilize an operator best suited for your gate size, type, weight and frequency of use.
- Separate pedestrian access from vehicle access.
- Conspicuously display all warnings and instruction so that they can’t be missed.
- Provide access control devices and associated components for end user requirements.
- Reduce pinch points, traffic hazards and unauthorized use.
- Adhere to all UL 325 and ASTM F2200 Safety Standards.
- Create a safe, user-friendly, high quality, reliable entry gate system.
Our gate security device installation and repair services are second-to-none! Please call us at (805) 644-5482 to get started.